Monday, March 19, 2012

Review: Legend

Summary:What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic's wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic's highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country's most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem.

From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths - until the day June's brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family's survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias' death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets.

Review: I bought this book because I was at the NY stop of the breathless reads tour, and this book was the one I heard the most about. Throughout the book I found myself not really being swayed on way or another about liking it or disliking it. I was really stuck in the middle. I'm not gonna say I liked it, but I also can't say that I didn't like it, which is weird. I've never really been in that situation with a book before. There were a lot of things I liked about the book though, particularly the characters. I immediately became attached to June's brother Metias, in less than fifty pages. The relationship he and June had was really nice and fun to read about. Metias is so protective and loving to her, even when he's angry with her you see the love coming through and that was cute to read  about. Another character I immediately fell for was Day's brother John, he doesn't have a huge part in the book, but his small moments make such an impact on the reader. You really become attached to Day's family and really want to make sure they're okay.
                The chapters are split between Day's point of view and June's point of view, I LOVE when authors do that. It keeps the book from getting boring and being one large monotonous thing. I did find myself enjoying Day's chapters more though, he's so full of action and adventure. One thing I particularly liked about this book was the humanity she gave to Day. Yes, he's a wanted criminal and a badass, but he has a huge soft spot for his family and will do anything for them. He shows pain. A lot of times in books authors won't let their heroes show pain or hurt they're getting their ribs kicked in and lay there silently to show they're a man. Let's be honest, if you're getting beat up you're gonna scream. When Day is being hit and hurt he's screaming in pain, like a normal person. I will definitely read the second one, I can't wait to see how June and Day end up. 

3/5 Stars

Quote I liked: "I'm from a poor sector too. But I followed the rules. I worked my way up, I earned my country's respect. The rest of you people just sit around and complain and blame the state for your bad luck. Bunch of dirty, lazy, cons."

No comments:

Post a Comment