Monday, April 4, 2011

Review: The Mortal Instruments, City Of Ashes

  • Reading level: Young Adult
  • Paperback: 496 pages
  • Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry (March 24, 2009)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 9781416972242

Summary:Clary Fray just wishes that her life would go back to normal. But what's normal when you're a demon-slaying Shadowhunter and you can suddenly see Downworlders like werewolves, vampires, and faeries? In this sequel to "City of Bones," Clare lures readers back into the dark grip of New York City's Downworld.Clary Fray just wishes that her life would go back to normal. But what's normal when you're a demon-slaying Shadowhunter, your mother is in a magically induced coma, and you can suddenly see Downworlders like werewolves, vampires, and faeries? If Clary left the world of the Shadowhunters behind, it would mean more time with her best friend, Simon, who's becoming more than a friend. But the Shadowhunting world isn't ready to let her go—especially her handsome, infuriating, newfound brother, Jace. And Clary's only chance to help her mother is to track down rogue Shadowhunter Valentine, who is probably insane, certainly evil—and also her father.

Review: I read this book because I read the first, and decided it was fun enough to keep going with the series, and, I have a thing where if I start a series, I can't not read the rest. I needed to find out if Jace and Clary are really related, is it okay for them to have these strong feelings? Anyway, I am sorry to report I did not enjoy this book as much as the first. While I like a good romance in a book, wether it be a major part of the book or minor, I still like it in there. This book did not have it as much as in the first one. I can understand that it could be because they still believe themselves to be brother and sister, but c'mon if they really were, I think they wouldn't have these feelings. Even if they had an attraction before they knew it would be squelched when it came to light. Even now when they think it's possible they still kiss and have feelings for each other. I wish it would just come to light already, you related or not?! I miss the romance! This book was certainly more suspenseful and action packed than the first, but I prefer book one. I would love to read more about Luke and Jocelyn's love, I really like hearing about them. 


Here is a quote I really liked from this book: "desire is not always lessened by disgust. nor can it be bestowed, like a favor, to those most deserving of it."

No comments:

Post a Comment