Friday, July 8, 2011

Review: Die For Me

Summary:In the City of Lights, two star-crossed lovers battle a fate that is destined to tear them apart again and again for eternity.

When Kate Mercier's parents die in a tragic car accident, she leaves her life--and memories--behind to live with her grandparents in Paris. For Kate, the only way to survive her pain is escaping into the world of books and Parisian art. Until she meets Vincent.

Mysterious, charming, and devastatingly handsome, Vincent threatens to melt the ice around Kate's guarded heart with just his smile. As she begins to fall in love with Vincent, Kate discovers that he's a revenant--an undead being whose fate forces him to sacrifice himself over and over again to save the lives of others. Vincent and those like him are bound in a centuries-old war against a group of evil revenants who exist only to murder and betray. Kate soon realizes that if she follows her heart, she may never be safe again.

Review: This book didn't do much for me. In fact, I had it on my shelves for quite some time before actually picking it up and deciding to read it. I read to page 20 when I finally did pick it up, and then put it back down for another month. I finally decided to just start it again and hope for the best. The best however, sadly, never came. There was a bunch of things that turned me off to this book, I found quite a few inconsistencies that I think anyone reading should have been able to pick up. One, Kate mentions Vincent saying he had a childhood love, when I read this I though huh, that must have been a part I wasn't paying attention at, and I let it leave my mind. I even wrote on my little note paper "Childhood romance?", about 50 or so pages later Vincent mentions having a childhood romance and Kate acts as if she has never heard of this before, sparking a whole conversation about Helene that leads to the story of how Vincent found out he was a revenant, and being picked up by Jean-Baptise. Another one I found was when Kate asked about being in the head of other people, Vincent said only other revenants and when I'm volant, then she say's how about humans? And he says yes, with their permission and if they're alive...didn't he just get done saying ONLY other revenants?  Lastly when Vincent gets a call from Charles that Kate picks up she says: something along the line of "Charles, are you okay? It's Kate" when Lucien breaks into the house, he says I knew only one human would be picking up Vincent's phone, plus I recognized your voice. If he could hear her voice that clearly, wouldn't he have heard her say it's Kate? It would have just made more sense if he stuck to, I heard you say it was Kate. There was one phrase that was in this book more than any other phrase and after about the 5th time it was really starting to drive me bonkers! "Oh, Vincent" had to have reared it's ugly head on at least every other page. After a while it became a game to see how long before it would be said again. Then it traveled to the other characters and they started saying it too. Oh, Kate, Oh, Ambrose. It was making me CRAZY!! There were some things I liked about this book, petty as they may seem they kept me reading when I thought all hope was lost. As a girl with big feet, I liked how Kate had a size ten shoe. I also liked how when she went to identify her mothers body in the morgue she took some of her own hair out and braided it with her mothers. I thought that was cute. Overall, I wouldn't say this was a terrible book, It wasn't poorly written, but I wouldn't recommend it to someone. I know there are people who would really enjoy it, it just wasn't for me. 2/5 stars. It was okay. If I would read the second one, it is only to see how Charlotte and Charles cope after being sent away from the rest of the crew, and to see if Charlottes love for Ambrose is ever returned.

No comments:

Post a Comment