Friday, August 12, 2011

Review: The Betrayal Of Natalie Hargrove

Summary:A steamy Southern beauty makes one fatal mistake

Natalie Hargrove would kill to be her high school's Palmetto Princess. But her boyfriend Mike King doesn't share her dream and risks losing the honor of Palmetto Prince to Natalie's nemesis, Justin Balmer. So she convinces Mike to help play a prank on Justin. . . one that goes terribly wrong. They tie him to the front of the church after a party - when they arrive the next morning, Justin is dead.

From blackmail to buried desire, dark secrets to darker deeds, Natalie unravels. She never should've messed with fate. Fate is the one thing more twisted than Natalie Hargrove.

Review: I read this book because I'm a semi-fan of the Fallen trilogy. I liked  them enough to read them, and buy them (used, value priced) so I decided I'd read this Lauren Kate book as well. It turns out, I liked it a lot more than I liked the Fallen books. While the Fallen books are all about love and passion the furthest the characters went into a scandalous love affair was a stolen and quick kiss here and there. This book had sex, murder, revenge, hate, drugs, more sex, and young girls doing anything (including flashing party guests to get beads) to fit in and get to be with the "In" crowd. I love reading about scandalous rich kids I really do, so I enjoyed this book. There was one thing I really disliked about this book, and I dislike any book that does this, so I'm not just singling this one out. I will try to explain this as clearly as possible. When characters have a past, and you learn early on about it, but you never quite know the details of the past. Justin torments Natalie in this book, and she tells us they'd met before and thats' it. No who what where or why, just she knew him. I can't relate to a character at all or her hatred for Justin unless you tell me WHY you avoid him like the plague right from the get go. The story behind her hate for him doesn't come out until the last chapter the last i'll say...3 pages of the book. If you don't tell me why they hate each other, I will not pay as close attention to their reactions in the book because I feel lost. When I finally found out the reason, I couldn't really remember the interactions they had throughout the book. That being said another thing I didn't understand was how the girls hung out in the bathrooms. I mean bean bags on the bathroom floor, sitting there and meditating. I don't know how their public high school bathroom looks, but if you sat on the floor of my H.S you left with blood, poo, and urine on your pants. It was an okay book, probably would recommend it.

3/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment