Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Review: Imaginary Girls


  • Reading level: Young Adult
  • Hardcover: 352 pages
  • Publisher: Dutton Juvenile; Stated to be First Edition (June 14, 2011)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 0525423389



Summary:Chloe's older sister, Ruby, is the girl everyone looks to and longs for, who can't be captured or caged. When a night with Ruby's friends goes horribly wrong and Chloe discovers the dead body of her classmate London Hayes left floating in the reservoir, Chloe is sent away from town and away from Ruby.

But Ruby will do anything to get her sister back, and when Chloe returns to town two years later, deadly surprises await. As Chloe flirts with the truth that Ruby has hidden deeply away, the fragile line between life and death is redrawn by the complex bonds of sisterhood.

Review: First off let me say that this book was absolutely BEAUTIFULLY written. I was originally drawn to this book because of the cover, which I think is so intriguing. You have to wonder who is this girl, is she drowning, floating? Living, dying? The imagery in which Suma used was so clear and so descriptive you seriously felt like you were in the story, looking over the scene of the reservoir feeling that cold spot right in the middle. I pictured the town in my head with every description adding more and more buildings, benches, and bars until I had the whole town panned out in full detail in my mind. The relationship built between Chloe and her sister Ruby is so endearing. I think a lot of people will be able to relate to the sisterly bond that is the main focus of this whole book. People without a sister will wish they had one, and wish they had this kind of relationship with her. The supernatural-ness that is woven throughout the book really left me wondering. I wasn't sure if it was really there, it sure seemed like it was, there was evidence throughout the book to point that it was indeed true, but I wasn't sure if it was just the imagining of a young girl who absolutely adores her sister. It's this confusion that makes me wonder about the title, "Imaginary Girls". I don't know exactly how it relates to the book, was the supernatural things imaginary to Ruby and Chloe? I don't know! There were times when I was genuinely freaked out by some occurrences, and I had goosebumps and felt the hair raise on my neck. this book is a must read, definitely recommend it, if not the the actual content than at least to experience how beautifully it's written. 

4/5 Stars: read this book!

No comments:

Post a Comment