Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Review: Unearthly

Summary:In the beginning, there's a boy standing in the trees . . . .
Clara Gardner has recently learned that she's part angel. Having angel blood run through her veins not only makes her smarter, stronger, and faster than humans (a word, she realizes, that no longer applies to her), but it means she has a purpose, something she was put on this earth to do. Figuring out what that is, though, isn't easy.
Her visions of a raging forest fire and an alluring stranger lead her to a new school in a new town. When she meets Christian, who turns out to be the boy of her dreams (literally), everything seems to fall into place—and out of place at the same time. Because there's another guy, Tucker, who appeals to Clara's less angelic side.
As Clara tries to find her way in a world she no longer understands, she encounters unseen dangers and choices she never thought she'd have to make—between honesty and deceit, love and duty, good and evil. When the fire from her vision finally ignites, will Clara be ready to face her destiny?

Review: This was a book that I bought from a closing down Borders. I'd aways see it at bookstores and the library but I never had any interest in it, but finally I decided I'd buy it. The cover is really pretty and it's at a discounted prices so why not? Well, I am SO glad I did! I loved this book a lot!! I regret not reading and buying it sooner. Here are a few things I really liked about this book: 1) the names. I've said in a previous post that a lot of authors go for the exotic strange names. It's almost kind of rare now that you get a book with a name that's simple like..Christian for example. The names in this book were common names, but old ones that you really don't hear that often anymore, Christian, Wendy, Angela, Clara, Jeffrey,  I loved that aspect. Just a group of normally named people. It's just a lot more relatable when it's a name that you could possible pass on the street. 2) It was country! I'm a huge country music fan, and I'm convinced I was born in the wrong state. I love in New York when I should live in Tennessee, so it was really nice to read about all the country-ness of the book. The cowboy hats, the cowboy boots, flannel shirts, country music (even though Tucker kind of hated it). That was a major plus for me. 3) The relationship between the family. They had a really nice family dynamic. The mom wasn't a complete strict mom, but she wasn't too easy going, she was a best friend but also a mom. I think in a lot of books the mother is either so easy going she lets her teenage daughter sleep over her new boyfriends house like its no big deal, or she's so strict she doesn't want her daughter dating at all. Like you're supposed to hate the mother in every book for either caring too much, or not at all. 4) and then there's Jeffrey. He acts tough, and rugged, but he still finds the time to joke around with his mom and Clara, and I really liked that. He's a normal teenaged guy, popular,  but still able to joke with his family. 5) I liked the evolution of Clara's feelings for Tucker. I found that as she started to like him more, I started to like him more, as she started to love him, I started to love him. It wasn't like omg we met I love you. It was a steady incline of feelings, you almost don't realize it until you lose him. Now here is what I didn't like:  I didn't like how Christian was not into her right away. Now this has nothing to do with the author or the writing, it's just me. She's so obviously trying to befriend him, get in a nice conversation and he's always just looking past her, it frustrated me. 
I would definitely recommend this book, I loved it, and I can't wait for the next one!! The twist at the end of this was CRAZY!! I totally didn't expect. One thing i'm hoping for in book two is you find out Midas is okay...you'll see what I mean when you read this one. I really hope there's more Tucker, I felt sad by the turn of events that relationship took.

5/5 Stars

Quote I liked: "He's like a God. You worship the gods, but you don't go out with them. you only like guys like that from a distance."

No comments:

Post a Comment