Friday, February 25, 2011

Revew: The Lying Game

  • Reading level: Young Adult
  • Hardcover: 320 pages
  • Publisher: HarperTeen (December 7, 2010)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 0061869708
Summary:   Identical twins who have never met, a mean-girl crowd with more money than morals, a stoic foster kid, and a beyond-the-grave narrator all propel readers into a roller-coaster ride of physical and emotional challenges in this first book in a new series. Foster kid Emma, two weeks shy of her eighteenth birthday, discovers she has a twin named Sutton and runs away from Las Vegas to meet her in Tucson. Sutton, however, seems to have been killed during the making of a snuff film. Narrating from the afterlife, Sutton cannot remember exactly who killed her, or much else about her life, as she watches her living twin try to solve the mystery

Review:  I was drawn to this book because I had read Sara Shepard's Pretty Little Liars series. I enjoyed the enough that I read the whole series and watched the show, I assumed I would enjoy this book just as much. I can't say that I DIDN'T enjoy it, but there was something about it that didn't hook me as fast or as much as Pretty Little Liars did. I think the real intense and mysterious part of the book took too long to get to and I found myself whizzing through it waiting for that part to finally hit. Don't get me wrong, it is an interesting book, it is by no means boring or uneventful, I just wish it would have had fun and intense moment a little ore often. The last few chapters of the book are the best, unlike most books where they are winding down the story by that time, in this book the story is just gaining momentum. Of course I see Sara's reasoning, she wants you to keep reading and buying the next in the series (Never Have I Ever- August 2, 2011). I will definitely read the second book and probably all four so I can see how it concludes. All in all I'd say it was a good book, I wouldn't recommend it per-say, but I wouldn't not recommend it either, if that makes any sense. If you're a fan of Sara Shepard go for it, if not, well, see for yourself, you never know.

No comments:

Post a Comment