Monday, February 21, 2011

Review: Th1rteen R3asons Why

  • Reading level: Young Adult
  • Hardcover: 304 pages
  • Publisher: Razorbill; 1st edition (October 18, 2007)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 1595141715
Summary:from amazon.com: When Clay Jenson plays the casette tapes he received in a mysterious package, he's surprised to hear the voice of dead classmate Hannah Baker. He's one of 13 people who receive Hannah's story, which details the circumstances that led to her suicide. Clay spends the rest of the day and long into the night listening to Hannah's voice and going to the locations she wants him to visit. The text alternates, sometimes quickly, between Hannah's voice (italicized) and Clay's thoughts as he listens to her words, which illuminate betrayals and secrets that demonstrate the consequences of even small actions. Hannah, herself, is not free from guilt, her own inaction having played a part in an accidental auto death and a rape. The message about how we treat one another, although sometimes heavy, makes for compelling reading.

I first read this book after hearing that Selena Gomez was starring in the movie. As I have said in an earlier post, I like to read books before they come out as movies. So, I gave it a shot. It turns out I really enjoyed it, I read it in one day. I could not put it down because I just wanted to see how everyone involved got themselves into the situation. I also wanted to see how Clay Jenson, the narrator of the book got himself involved in the suicide of Hannah Baker. I developed an immediate liking to Clay, he seemed like such a nice and down to earth guy, someone I would be friends with in High School. He didn't seem to match up to the other people on the tape and I knew I would be disappointed if I found out he was actually a mean guy. I often become so attached to character in books that I get insulted or sad if anything happens to them...like a protective mother in a way. I think anyone who reads the book will fall for Clay like I have and as Hannah has. The reader will see the events that leads to Hannah's decision and wish they had been there to stop her from going through with it. A definite must read for people of any age, high schoolers will learn that every action they do towards people have a consequence, and older readers will remember the sometime horrible moments of high school and hurtful gossip and rumors. You will become entranced in the story that is Hannah Baker, and the relationships she has with the others in the book. Everyone is connected in one way or another and each relationship escalates her hardships. Read it, read it, read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment