Thursday, March 10, 2011

Review: Across The Universe

  • Reading level: Young Adult
  • Hardcover: 416 pages
  • Publisher: Razorbill (January 11, 2011)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 1595143971
Summary:Seventeen-year-old Amy joins her parents as frozen cargo aboard the vast spaceship "Godspeed" and expects to awaken on a new planet in 300 years. Never could she have known that she would be thrust into the world of a spaceship that lives by its own rules.Seventeen-year-old Amy joins her parents as frozen cargo aboard the vast spaceship Godspeed and expects to awaken on a new planet, three hundred years in the future. Never could she have known that her frozen slumber would come to an end fifty years too soon and that she would be thrust into the brave new world of a spaceship that lives by its own rules.

Amy quickly realizes that her awakening was no mere computer malfunction. Someone-one of the few thousand inhabitants of the spaceship-tried to kill her. And if Amy doesn't do something soon, her parents will be next.

Now, Amy must race to unlock Godspeed's hidden secrets. But out of her list of murder suspects, there's only one who matters: Elder, the future leader of the ship and the love she could never have seen coming.


Review: I bought this book back in February when Alana and I went to the "Breathless Reads" tour. Let me start by saying that Beth Revis is such a sweet person, and hysterical to boot! I really could not stop laughing every time it was her turn to ask a question, and I couldn't wait till it was her turn to answer. Anyway..on to the book, the reason I'm here. I really liked the cover of the book and that's what made me buy it initially. While waiting on line to purchase it I read the summary and thought wow, that's new. The book was certainly nothing like I have ever read before, and I was happy to be reading something a little different than my usual, vampires, demons, angels, mer-people etc. While there was a bit of a romance between Elder and Amy, I was upset that it wasn't played out quite as much as I had hoped. When we first come across Elder in the book, all I could think of is...Jeez, I wish he found my frozen body! The book is full of interesting and mysterious characters, and I felt a quick attachment to many of them...and hate too, as you will when you read the book. The map on the inside of the dust jacket is a great visual aid while reading the book, just so you can understand the levels and different areas, so definitely utilize that. All in all I would certainly recommend this book. There is a bit of sex in it, so maybe not too good for younger people, 14 and up I'd say. The only bad thing I can say about the book is that the romance wasn't so romantic..if you can understand that. But I guess given the circumstances, you wouldn't wanna be romantic either. Otherwise, the book was GREAT, read it! It out of this universe...yea, that was corny. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment