Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Review: Cloaked



  • Reading level: Young Adult
  • Hardcover: 352 pages
  • Publisher: HarperTeen (February 8, 2011)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 0060874228

Summary: I'm not your average hero. I actually wasn't your average anything. Just a poor guy working an after-school job at a South Beach shoe repair shop to help his mom make ends meet. But a little magic changed it all.
It all started with a curse. And a frognapping. And one hot-looking princess, who asked me to lead a rescue mission.
There wasn't a fairy godmother or any of that. And even though I fell in love along the way, what happened to me is unlike any fairy tale I've ever heard. Before I knew it, I was spying with a flock of enchanted swans, talking (yes, talking!) to a fox named Todd, and nearly trampled by giants in the Everglades.
Don't believe me? I didn't believe it either. But you'll see. Because I knew it all was true, the second I got cloaked.

Review: I was a bit disappointed with this book. I have read a few other of Alex Flinn's books and I really enjoyed them. I love how she incorporates fairy tales into her books, because who doesn't love to live their childhood stories in a more adult fashion? Maybe I gave it high expectations with the Beastly movie coming out and seeing it all over, remembering how much I enjoyed the book, and this Cloaked just wasn't Lindy and Kyle. I think it may have to do however, with the tales that were used in this particular book. I really enjoyed the "Cobble" aspect to it, because I grew up watching that cartoon every Christmas. Anyone who knows that cartoon will know what *shrugs* coullldddd beeee means, I use it often in everyday life, but okay that's just my crazy family. So as I was saying I was kinda of disappointed by this book, because I really did want to enjoy it. I awaited it's release anxiously and was sadly wrong in thinking i'd enjoy it as much as the others. I will still read Alex Flinn's books for sure, I just really think the choice of tales used in this book turned me off. It was not a happily ever after tale for me :(

No comments:

Post a Comment