Monday, March 28, 2011

Review: Delirium

  • Reading level: Young Adult
  • Hardcover: 448 pages
  • Publisher: HarperCollins (February 1, 2011)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 9780061726828

Summary:Ninety-five days, and then I'll be safe. I wonder whether the procedure will hurt. I want to get it over with. It's hard to be patient. It's hard not to be afraid while I'm still uncured, though so far the deliria hasn't touched me yet. Still, I worry. They say that in the old days, love drove people to madness. The deadliest of all deadly things: It kills you both when you have it and when you don't.

Review: Where do I start to review this book? I had very high hopes for this book because of all the hype it was getting. As a big fan of Dystopian books, I thought I would be finding one of my new favorites...not so much. I don't want to say I disliked the book, but I didn't like it as much as I heard or thought I would. The book seemed to be everywhere and the great reviews were right there with it. However; in reading the book I found myself bored at times. A really good book will wake me up in the morning, the hour ride commute to school means an hour of reading I get to do before I start my grueling day. Twice, I chose sleep on the train than to read. The progression of the book increased my interest in the book, the beginning I didn't like the middle I started to like, and the ned had my attention. For those who have read the book, I started actually liking it when they spent the few hours in the wilds, from then on, I was hooked. For people who are planning to read it, I say give it a chance. I foresee the second book being really good, so I wouldn't give up on it just yet.

2 comments:

  1. Oh wow. Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy the book as much as you wanted too. I hate when this happens and sometime I wonder to my self if I let the hype lead me astray. :) Thanks for the honest review and so glad you gave the book a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea, I was really sad because I looked forward to this book for so long and when I finally got it I was bummed. I do however; believe that the next book in the series will be good, I feel like the actual story in Delirium didn't actually start until the end. The who book seemed introductory until then. I have high hopes for book 2.

    ReplyDelete