Friday, March 4, 2011

Review: The Mortal Instruments, City Of Bones

  • Reading level: Young Adult
  • Paperback: 512 pages
  • Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry; First Edition edition (February 19, 2008)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 1416955070
Summary:When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder -- much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Clary knows she should call the police, but it's hard to explain a murder when the body disappears into thin air and the murderers are invisible to everyone but Clary.
Equally startled by her ability to see them, the murderers explain themselves as Shadowhunters: a secret tribe of warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. Within twenty-four hours, Clary's mother disappears and Clary herself is almost killed by a grotesque demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know....

Review: I read this book because of how often I see people blogging about it. I often find when I go to book store sites, or even Amazon it is a suggested read based on my prior searches or purchases. So I figured what the hoot i'd give it a go. I found the beginning to be rather slow,but I find this true of many books I read and I kept going. I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed the book from the second part on. I became attached to the characters and shared their confusion and stress in different situations. As in most YA novels there is a sort of love triangle, I guess there are sort of a few love triangles, but the one i'm referring to is Simon, Clary, and Jace. I have a sort of love/hate relationship with these kind of situations. I always have a favorite and then I get frustrated when they aren't the chosen love affair, or they are chosen and I feel bad for the other variable. Take Peeta, Gale, Katniss, Love love love Peeta, buttttt also very sympathetic to Gale, umm c'mon he had Katniss first, they're hunting buddies! But Peeta has always loved her, he saved her life in the games! And the battle rages on in my mind forever and ever. So it was with Simon, Jace, and Clary. But eww are they really related?! I'm team Simon, but I felt the love between Jace and Clary, and as always i'm torn. Anyway, one thing I particularly enjoyed about the book was it's setting in Brooklyn (where I live) and the constant talk of the Q train! That's the train I take! It's one of two trains that I can take to get to my house, I felt special knowing that. I will never look at a Q train the same, i'll look at it and think...Jace might be on there! In lieu of all the sites that are mentioned in the book, I was thinking of maybe visiting them and posting photos of them in a special blog. Would that be of interest to anyone? Then when you think of the book, read it, or re-read it, you would have a clear image of what they're talking about, not just imagining it. I would certainly recommend this book to anyone who is a lover of Vampires, Werewolves, Demons, and kick ass hot fellas! But who isn't right?

No comments:

Post a Comment